Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

Many restaurants in Kansas City take pride in being vegetarian friendly.  I think that's really cool, and I'm not even a vegetarian.  In fact, steak is one of my all time favorite foods.  :)  Of course, I'm also very picky about how my steak is cooked, but I won't get into that here.



Back to the point, one day I ran into a blog called Guilty Kitchen.  With that kind of a name, why wouldn't I start following it?  The second day I start following it a Black Bean Burgers post shows up.  Although not a vegetarian, I had been wanting to try a veggie burger for about 6 months prior.  But I could never bring myself to order one at a restaurant in KC (mostly I was scared of the plain avocado on them).  Then I would see one of the beef hamburger descriptions, and go for it instead.  But when I saw the post on Guilty Kitchen, I decided to give it a chance.  Due to lack or dislike of an ingredient, I changed it up a bit.  Below is my version of Guilty Kitchen's Black Bean Burgers.

Chris's Black Bean Burgers (makes 4 burgers):

  • 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped 
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • Salt and pepper 
  • 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
  • Large lettuce leaves (Romaine, Green leaf)
  • Guacamole
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 4 buns, halved
  • Sliced red onion
  • 12 dill pickle slices
In a food processor, pulse half of drained beans, cilantro, garlic, red onion, and egg until mixed throughly.  Pour into a large bowl.  Add the rest of the beans, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Stir; then form it into four patties.  If the mixture is too runny either chill for a while or add more bread crumbs.  Chill the patties for about 10 minutes.  Preheat grill.  Grill patties about 10 minutes on both sides.  When patties are about 1 minute from being done, melt a slice of pepper jack cheese on top.  Toast bun, if desired.  Serve patties on buns with guacamole, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and pickles.






No comments:

Post a Comment