Sunday, January 22, 2012

Breakfast Cups

A few months ago, my friend invited me to join Pinterest. I didn't really see the reason for bookmarking images (or that's how I explain Pinterest to people anyway), so I didn't use it for months. About a month ago, I had a craft night and another friend showed me a scarf she wanted to recreate on Pinterest. Naturally, Pinterest had a new purpose for me...recreation of awesome things! I mostly pin recipes and craft ideas. As I was searching others' pins, I found a recipe for Bacon, Egg, and Toast Cups by Martha Stewart. They looked so cute, I just had to make them! I don't really eat butter, so I changed the recipe up just slightly. Here's my version:

Breakfast Cups

  • Cooking Spray (I like the oil olive kind personally)
  • 6 slices of wheat bread
  • 6 slices of turkey bacon, cut in half
  • 6 large eggs (although medium might actually be better, large almost didn't fit in the cups)
  • Salt and pepper

Preheat over to 375. Spray each cup in a muffin pan with cooking spray. If using a 12 cup muffin pan, spray every other one.

Cook the bacon till almost done (it will cook more in the oven). Cut the crusts off of the bread. Then smash them down with a rolling pin or your palms. Cut the smashed bread in half and place in the muffin cups. Place the bacon in the cups. I placed mine so a little was sticking up. Then crack an egg into each cup. Season with salt and pepper.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the whites are set. We baked ours for about 27 minutes because H doesn't like his yokes runny at all. I probably would have liked them better around 20 minutes, but I like runny yokes. :)

Other Variations: 
I'm really excited to try some other versions of these cups. Browned sausage sounds amazing to me. As does chopped ham. I think when I do those, I'll scramble the eggs and pour on top of the sausage or ham. I also would like to try putting some bell peppers in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment