Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fish Tacos

Today was the first day I've ever cooked fish in my life.  I've hated all kinds of seafood for the past 10+ years of my life--mostly I hated the smell of fish.  However, a little over a year ago I decided to give it another chance.  It's a slow process because I'm scared of cooking it, which means I only eat it when we dine out (and then I generally see other items on the menu that sound better) or if a friend/relative makes it for me.  Today I decided to face my fears, and I made these fish tacos using tilapia for lunch.  We were going to use halibut, but couldn't find any fresh at the store.

Fish Tacos
1/2 lb fresh tilapia or halibut fillets, skin removed
1 T olive oil

Marinade:
1 lime, juiced, about 2 to 3 tablespoons
1/2 c wheat-free tamari
1 T Mexican seasoning

Other ingredients: 
Whole wheat or corn tortillas
Guacamole
Fire-roasted salsa or spicy fire-roasted salsa
Thinly sliced romaine lettuce
Shredded Mexican cheese

Cut fish into bite-sized pieces.  Place fish into a small bowl, and add lime juice, tamari, and Mexican seasoning.  Marinade for 30-40 minutes.  Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  When oil is hot, saute fish for 5-6 minutes or until fish is cooked through.  Immediately serve fish in a tortilla topped with guacamole, salsa, lettuce, and cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment